Thursday, October 20, 2011

journal 18

The staff, not all of it of course we are very lucky to have some very wonderful, dedicated, honest teachers here at Castle Park but we also have other staff members who lack those traits and then some. I would change our library, I would make it bigger and have it filled with books that could appeal to everyone. The main area where I would change our staff is the counselors, it took me two years to figure out that they didn't give two cents for us as individuals. Never in my two and a half years of being at this school have I ever seen my counselor, now I know I can't blame this all on them- in my personal experience- but I have tried leaving slips and request to see my counselor but never being called. In all honesty it makes me furious to know that these adults have the responsibility to care for our education to guide us so we can be on the road to getting into a good university or collage, they're supposed to be making sure we're on the path to graduate High School, but they don't do their job right. I would make our counselors focus very specifically with the 10th and 11th graders, to meet with us at least once a semester, just to check up on how we're doing in our classes in if we are missing any credits or need help in finding the right collage or even major for us. As a student who has just waltz through the first two years of my high school education it's just hitting me that in less than a year and a half I will be walking out those doors, with a world ahead of me and it terrifies me to think that I'm not ready, and maybe things will change in that year and a half I have of being in school, but as of right now I'm horrified of the future and what lies ahead of me, all because I feel unprepared. That's why I want our school to have a better support system for our students so others don't feel as unprepared and terrified of the future as I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment